Nathalie Quintane--from Shoes, p.6



I am presently almost incapable of only tying my shoes.



I can't remember one original thought which came to me while tying my shoes.


Most of the time, I rehearse the list of chores that remain to be completed, a list that I will have known since morning, or the day before, or else I scrutinize a prickly thought.



In return, it sometimes happens that, walking on my way, I'll make interesting discoveries.

Undoubtedly, bending over (blood rushes quickly to the head? the stomach compressed by the thighs?) does not facilitate intellectual activity.



Nevertheless, I am not overly concerned with this incapacity, when tying my shoes, either to think of something interesting, or think of nothing at all.

I believe that the best opportunities present themselves at daylight.